Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. At Argo Group, we leverage the success, discipline and expertise of our people and an understanding of our customers’ needs to provide a diverse portfolio of products and services. This approach helps those we insure drive down their ultimate cost through prevention and aggressive claims handling. Simply stated, our products and services help keep businesses in business.
Argo Group has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Senior Reinsurance Accountant. This position will be in our San Antonio, Texas office reporting to our Manager of Reinsurance Accounting.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include:
· Billing and collections of ceded losses from intermediaries and reinsurers. Analyze cash and ensure timely deposit, posting to the general ledger, and cash application to the reinsurance system.
· Interpret both new and renewal reinsurance contracts for entry and ongoing support within reinsurance software.
· Prepare and analyze complex standard financial reinsurance and ad hoc reports (monthly, quarterly, and annually) for management.
· Determine and calculate the net premium cessions owed to various reinsurers, monitor premium schedules, prepare bordereau reports, remit payments accordingly.
· Maintain, monitor and reconcile various reinsurance general ledger accounts with existing reinsurance systems, including, but not limited to, reinsurance paid loss recoverable, ceded premiums payable.
· Maintain collection logs/diaries to track collection progress and status reporting. Serve as contact with broker and reinsurers on claim reporting, reinsurance coverage questions, and collection items.
· Prepare and record monthly journal entries and adjustments to the general ledger as needed.
Assist as needed in the preparation of the annual statement.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or Finance; and/or equivalent work experience is required.
· Clear knowledge and proven abilities in Reinsurance account processing (premium written and earned, Loss incurred, funds held and Letters of Credit) and a minimum of 4 – 6 years of accounting experience, preferably reinsurance accounting in a property/casualty environment.
· Excellent analytical skills and above-average math aptitude/ability.
· Ability to accurately research and follow through on complex problem-solving items, as well as initiate resolutions at multiple levels within the organization.
· Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage, prioritize, and effectively meet deadlines working on multiple assignments simultaneously.
· Excellent ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively both verbally and in writing.
· Remain flexible in a fast paced environment and possess a customer focused attitude.
· Proficient PC skills developed through extensive use of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Access, and Word in addition to experience and knowledge of accounting software.
· Displays professional demeanor encompassing company’s vision and values when working with customers both within and outside the organization.
In addition, you will share in the core values, which are key to our success: having courage to do the right thing; Inspiration/innovation/creativity; harnessing the potential of all individuals; and sharing a commitment to excellence.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. If you want to be part of an organization that is built on integrity, trust and respect, where teamwork and individual excellence are valued.
State or Province