This position is responsible for building, managing, and transforming the New Product Operations organization at Sonos. This is a critical leadership position on the Sonos Manufacturing and Supply Chain Management team. The NPO organization is responsible for overall program management and coordination of the extended supply chain activities from product concept through general availability & beyond. This team manages all technical aspects of preparing for product launches including DFx, technical readiness reviews, manufacturing process development, test plan development, technical issue resolution and attainment of all manufacturing, quality, cost performance goals. This organization also supports the sustaining manufacturing operation, and is the first level of escalation for any technical product-related manufacturing issue. This team also supports ongoing cost reduction efforts – including qualification of second sources and value engineering.
The Director of New Product Operations is responsible for building the team and developing the functional capabilities needed to bring world-class products to market. These functional capabilities include Program Management, Test Development Engineering, and new product Manufacturing Engineering. A summary of these functional responsibilities is as follows:
* Manage a cross-functional team of R&D, QA, manufacturing, supply chain, product management and manufacturing partners to deliver new product program goals on schedule and on budget.
* Establish key cost, quality, reliability and technical readiness criteria at each phase of the product development, and ensure that the targets are met and issues are resolved or mitigated prior to moving to the next phase.
* Develop and continuously improve our NPI processes and efficiency to deliver best-in-class products to the market in world class time.
* Provide strong leadership by tracking key risks, opportunities, and program milestones.
* Coordinate team activities to meet program goals and ensure crisp execution through effective task management and communication.
* Track product costs and cost reduction opportunities to ensure that the product meets or exceeds gross margin and ROI targets
Test Development Engineering:
* Develop and document the overall manufacturing test strategy for Sonos products. Collaborate with the Product Development Team to ensure Sonos products are optimized for maximum test coverage and minimum test time.
* Develop manufacturing test specifications and plans for each new product – including test environment, test conditions, and functional performance criteria. Specify critical manufacturing test measurement equipment, and develop acceptance criteria for automated test
* Manage, control and qualify all changes to the ATE programs. Collaborate with Manufacturing Operations to drive continuous improvement in test performance, efficiency and stability.
* Collaborate with the Product Development organization on the design of all new products and related components to ensure they are properly designed for efficient supply chain execution - including assembly, test, postponement, serviceability, and reliability.
* Leverage the knowledge and expertise of manufacturing partners and suppliers, and integrate the extended team into the Sonos product design team to ensure the development of the most cost effective and highest quality products possible.
* Provide technical leadership and direction to the extended supply chain and manufacturing teams.
* Qualify manufacturing processes – including assembly, tooling and fixturing. Ensure process capability and eliminate/mitigate technical risks to ensure smooth transition to mass production.
* Support second source qualification efforts, value engineering, and other cost reduction initiatives.
Reports to:Vice President of Manufacturing and Supply Chain Operations
Key Peer Relationships:Strategic Sourcing Director, Manufacturing Operations Director, Product Development Executive Team, Product Management Director, Technical Program Manager, EE/ME/SW Product Development Director.
Passion for building world class teams and processes to deliver scalable innovation and excellence
Strong leader with 3-5 years experience in senior management roles, and a clear track record of successfully leading teams in rapidly changing environments.
Strategic thinker with strong business and technical acumen and demonstrated ability to learn, adapt and collaborate.
Ability to lead and influence beyond immediate functional boundaries.
Successful track record in brining innovative products to market and achieving world class time to quality and volume in manufacturing.
Strong engineering background with deep electronics manufacturing experience, and proven track record in successful hiring, building and growing technical organizations.
Signficant experience with world-class product development processes, tools and methods.
In-depth knowledge and experience dealing with top global suppliers and manufacturing partners, particularly in Asia.
Significant experience in a contract manufacturing model; familiarity with JDM/ODM development models.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
B.S. in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering (advanced degree a plus).
12+ years of experience with successively broader leadership roles in manufacturing and/or new product introductions. Strong technical foundation built on at least 3-5 years or experience as a practicing manufacturing engineer, test development engineer, or product engineer.
Consumer electronics experience, including audio, wireless, PC's or handsets. Experience in high volume electronics manufacturing a significant plus.
Significant experience launching successful products in market leading OEM companies.
Solid technical foundation built upon 3-5 years of hands-on experience as a manufacturing engineer, test engineer and/or product engineer.
Willingness to embrace and drive change,. Innovative problem solver. Naturally curious.
Must have demonstrated the ability to ""roll up the sleeves"" when needed while at the same time provide vision and strategy for long term company success.
More about Sonos:
In 2002, we set out with a goal – to reinvent home audio for the digital age. Our vision was simple - fill every home with music and make listening a valued experience again. We’re making it easy for everybody to listen to the music they love in every room of their home. To hear the songs they love, to discover new music they never knew existed, and to appreciate it all with the highest sound quality.
We’re doing it all over the world – In more than 60 countries, in seven languages through thousands of retailers. We’re constantly looking for ways to improve the experience – with new products, new software and continually investing in ways to provide our customers the best experience possible. We’re doing what we set out to do. Changing the way people listen to music – one home at a time.
State or Province