|% of Travel Required : 70-80%
Job Type : Full Time
Career Level : Experienced (Non-Manager)
Education : Master's Degree
Category : Medical Affairs/Clinical
Job Description :
Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) are highly educated, clinically and/or scientifically trained field-based health care professionals who support the business through the four pillars of Medical Affairs: Education, Key Opinion Leader (KOL) relationships, Research, and Safety. MSLs are responsible for responding to requests for clinical and scientific information on periodontal and oral soft tissue repair. This may include providing support to physicians who may be using our products off-label. These responses incorporate the MSLs knowledge of issues around patient safety, evidence based medicine and cutting edge research relevant to this field. MSLs interact at a high (peer-to-peer) level with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) such as clinicians who are engaged in clinical & preclinical research and post-graduate medical education and also with scientists who are shaping our understanding of oral wound healing. Leveraging their scientifically and clinically based KOL relationships, MSLs work toward advancing scientific understanding of periodontal and oral soft tissue regeneration to prepare the market for product launch. This may be achieved through clinical experience or more formal investigator initiated studies and publications in peer-reviewed journals. MSLs also provide high-level support to the organization by following up on post-marketing adverse events and advocating safe and effective use of our products.
The MSL will cover the eastern territory which includes but not limited to—Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC/Richmond, Lexington KY, Memphis, Indianapolis, Ann Arbor, Cleveland, Atlanta, Raleigh, Jacksonville, Orlando, Boca Raton/Ft Lauderdale/Miami, Tampa, New Orleans.
The incumbent may reside within a commutable distance from any of the cities listed above.
1. In cooperation with the Medical Information Center, provide product support responsively through literature searches, development of scientific slides and presentations to various external customers.
2. Provide broad medical & scientific support for Commercial team activities. For example support key congresses and generate commercially relevant publications, posters, abstracts and slide presentations for internal and external use.
3. Provide feedback from the field (e.g. from physicians) to the Medical Information Center (Manager of Scientific Communications) regarding gaps in knowledge to inform publication strategy.
4. Obtain information from national meetings and package that information for use of all team members.
5. Provide competitive information on medical & scientific developments in periodontal and oral soft tissue repair.
6. Serve as primary Medical Affairs contact with key academic and community based medical centers coordinating with commercial to help identify potential KOLs within the field of periodontal and oral soft tissue repair.
7. Develop and maintain KOL relationships to build scientific understanding, expertise and clinical challenge. Leverage these relationships to prepare the market for optimal product launch. Indentify possible new therapeutic indications. Works with KOLs to support future clinical trials (e.g. clinical trial site identification and recruitment) and advisory boards.
8. Act as primary liaison to KOLs interested in investigator initiated studies. Facilitate the submission of high level studies that are strategically aligned with company objectives.
9. Participate in commercial training (medical & scientific content) on oral wound healing.
10. Follow up on post-marketing adverse events by obtaining relevant clinical information to enable the Medical Director to make an accurate assessment. Follow up may also involve re-education of the healthcare provider regarding effective & safe product usage.
11. Maintain knowledge base as to developments and trends in medical sciences. This is expected to include attendance and participation at key conferences on periodontal and oral soft tissue repair and regeneration.
12. Contribute to the training, leadership and continuing education for all departmental staff.
Job Requirements :
Must have good written and oral communication skills. Experience must include KOL development, investigator initiated studies, clinical presentations and medical education. Must have experience in forming strong strategic alliances with business partners and colleagues and an understanding of the Clinical and Regulatory requirements in a field-based medical organization. Must have effective leadership, interpersonal, analytical and problem solving skills. Must be able to work independently and in groups in a collegial manner. Must be able to travel up to 80% (4 days a week). Knowledge of periodontal and oral soft tissue repair is highly regarded.
1. Minimum of 5 years experience in dental or oral surgery in a clinical role. A master’s prepared licensed health care professional with experience in a surgical setting. An advanced degree is preferred (e.g. DDS, DMD, MD, DO, PhD).
2. Research experience. A masters degree or higher in a field related to wound healing and/or tissue repair in the oral environment is desirable.
3. At least 2 years serving as a medical professional in a medical device, biotechnology or pharmaceutical company. Specific Medical Affairs experience is highly desirable.
4. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as evidenced by a record of publications and or public speaking.
5. Strong team player. Interested in working in a multicultural environment.
6. Strong in providing education on complex scientific/medical issues in a crisp and clear manner both to a peer and lay audience
State or Province