|Ferara Candy Company, Inc., a $615 million dollar manufacturer of quality sugar, gum and chocolate products, has an immediate opening for a PLANT CONTROLLER - Exempt - Regular - Full-Time - First Shift in Creston, Iowa (CR462012).
As an international candy company, Ferrara Candy Company offers full line, full service opportunities to leading retail customers and consumers throughout the United States. The company’s success in the industry, experience with acquisitions and significant capital resources established Ferrara Candy Company, Inc. as the 5th largest confectioner in the United States. Ferrara Candy Company has developed its business both through internal growth and through the acquisitions of famous confectionery brands, including BRACH’S®, TROLLI®, NOW AND LATER®, JUJYFRUITS®, BOBS®, SWEET STRIPES®, SUPER BUBBLE®, FRUIT STRIPE®, RAIN-BLO®, CHUCKLES®, as well as FARLEY’S® and SATHERS®.
REPORTS TO: Brian Haines, Plant Manager
The Plant Controller, located in Creston, Iowa, will report to the Plant Manager and serve as a member of the plant’s senior management team. This position will serve as a financial leader within the organization and is responsible for analyzing, interpreting and clearly communicating financial progress within the Creston facility. Also responsible for monitoring and control of daily inventory and spending processes; educate and develop direct reports and peers; serve as an advisor to leadership teams; and support continuous improvement of processes, policies and systems. Support the company’s continuous improvement vision to establish a culture that enables significant performance improvement through continual stream of out of the box ideas and supporting processes, utilizing the ideas of all employees to improve cost, service, quality and safety.
1. Ensure strong internal controls (e.g., enforce through audits, self-assessments, etc. and organization design)
2. Communicate in a clear and concise manner the primary drivers to variances and provide recommendation to control costs. Good verbal and written communication skills are required during weekly management meetings, monthly reporting commentaries and in
green room (pre-shift meeting) discussions.
3. Support site in managing to the productivity target.
4. Applies statistical methods and performs analytics to determine manufacturing run rates, staff requirements, usage variances, standards and assess alternative approaches to drive cost improvements.
5. Assists with operational and financial forecasting, staffing, productivities, capital expenditures, operating budget, capital expenditure justifications, improvement analyses, etc.
6. Conduct time study analysis, forecasting and other related industrial engineer duties requiring time on production floor.
7. Support all systems, processes and policy changes by being an active participant in site and business teams while maintaining/improving operating standards in the area of quality, cost, delivery, safety, and morale.
8. Develop staff (direct reports) and others (plant managers, headquarters, etc.)
9. Keep abreast with what is going on in the business and the industry.
10. Support site in managing to KPIs (managing processes, approaches, methodologies, etc. to ensure human and food safety and quality.
11. Manage conflicting interests and priorities.
12. Other related duties as assigned.
1. Four (4) year college degree in Accounting/Finance or closely related discipline.
2. Knowledge/experience with lean manufacturing/continuous improvement.
3. Ability to conduct time study analysis, forecasting, and other related industrial engineer duties.
4. A minimum of five (5) years progressive accounting experience in a food/manufacturing environment.
5. A minimum three (3) years supervisory experience including demonstrated ability to
lead change and interact with all levels of management.
6. Must have a commanding knowledge of financial and cost analysis; plant budgeting; standard setting; inventory control; and detailed review of monthly plant results, including understanding of variances and corrective action plans.
7. Strong computer experience including Excel, Word, Access, SAP and related.
8. Ability to travel as needed.
9. Ability and willingness to relocate.
10. Strong analytical skills.
11. Demonstrated ability to multi task in a fast paced environment and to lead and motivate teams to achieve goals.
12. Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills.
13. Demonstrated ability to perform well in a high stress, demanding setting where performance is critical to the success of the Company.
14. Demonstrated ability to establish and manage good working relationships throughout the Company to achieve desired financial objectives.
1. Special training and/or experience with food/confectionary products.
2. Prior experience/knowledge of lean manufacturing principles.
3. Demonstrated high level of organization skills, energy, and drive.
4. Bilingual in English and Spanish
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
1. The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
2. The incumbent works in a highly demanding environment intermittently in office and plant settings.
3. Must be able to lift 15-25 lbs.
4. Must be able to move throughout the plant including ability to navigate stairs.
5. Must be able to operate motor vehicle.
6. Must be able to do limited traveling.ý
|Farley's & Sathers Candy Co|
State or Province