|Job Posting Current Opening for a Research Assistant for our Nutritional Chemistry and Food Safety Lab in Greenfield, IN.
The mission of Nutritional Chemistry and Food Safety is to support our valued Customers with flexible, innovative solutions and scientific expertise that is driven by a diverse and motivated team of the best and brightest.
As a Research Assistant you will plan and direct method development projects and studies in compliance with appropriate SOPs and regulatory guidelines. Develop, modify, validate, and perform methodology for routine and/or non-routine analysis. Also, train other less-experienced employees on routine and non-routine analysis.
As a Research Assistant you will:
• Organizes, conducts and evaluates analytical results and testing.
• Maintains study documentation and laboratory records.
• Independently sets-up, maintains, operates and performs routine and non-routine
maintenance on general equipment, including problem identification and resolution.
• Performs quality control review of data.
• Informs Study Director, Principal Investigator and/or management of any problems and/or deviations that may affect integrity of the data; participates in corrective action of problems.
• Promotes a cohesive team environment.
• With supervisory assistance, assures technical staff compliance to SOPs and other regulatory agency guidelines.
• Assists in setting up and performing method development and validation of various analytes in a variety of matrices.
• Performs complex analyses using unfamiliar or new methods, asking for scientific guidance as needed.
• Makes suggestions for modifications in test methods or procedures.
• Provides input and participates in project meetings, plans, monitors and guides project work.
• With supervisory assistance, serves as a lead chemist on projects, overseeing a small group of technical staff.
• Trains, mentors, and assists less experienced staff.
• Maintains a clean and safe laboratory work environment.
• Participates in new equipment and instrument assessment and qualification, as appropriate.
• Participates in client visits as needed, assists in communicating technical information.
• Participates in process improvement initiatives.
• Assists in evaluation of data for incorporation into written reports.
• Effectively plans and utilizes personnel and resources for timely completion of assigned projects.
• Assists in writing reports and protocols.
• Writes SOPs and methods.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education/Qualifications Education Requirements:
• Bachelor of Science/Arts (BS/BA) degree in chemistry or related scientific field
• Experience may be substituted for education.
• Ability to perform advanced computer skills (e.g., Word, Excel).
Experience Experience Required:
• 4 years related or relevant laboratory experience required with a BS/BA degree or 6 years experience with an AAS degree.
• Familiar with the use of standard laboratory equipment (e.g., balances, pipettes, centrifuges).
• Experience with use and trouble shooting of analytical equipment.
• Effective communication (verbal and written), presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to design and independently conduct tests for chemistry projects and provide initial analysis of results.
• Acts as technical resource for the department (trouble shooting, method development, qualification, maintenance and training).
• Evaluates data for incorporation into written reports.
• Advanced time management skills to complete project assignments on time, with minimal or no supervision.
• Able to effectively schedule resources.
• Understands and helps staff with compliance to SOPs and other regulatory agency guidelines.
• Identifies process improvement opportunities, recommends solutions and implements action plans.
• Able to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing.
• Effectively interacts with internal and/or external clients.
• Acts as a project leader.
• Ability to assist in the preparation of relevant sections of final reports.
• Knowledgeable on a variety of study types, analysis procedures and methodologies.
Because of our passion and drive, Covance attracts the kind of people whose contribution has resulted in our exceptional growth. Once a part of our talented team, our employees stay at Covance to work in an environment that encourages career development, allows them to work alongside respected colleagues on challenging projects and provides a diverse global culture.
State or Province