The Plant Metallurgist performs a variety of duties that include reviewing customer specifications, analyzing products, and assuring control of the production processes compliance with quality system requirements. This position is responsible for performing metallurgical investigations to eliminate quality defects, make improvements in plant recovery and reduce major losses. The Plant Metallurgist will focus on quality and cost control by way of ensuring that raw material and finished good meet specifications of mechanical strength, strength-weight ration, and magnetic properties. Will be responsible for ensuring that all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Work Instructions (WI) are followed and that in-process and final tubing produced complies with all customer requirements, specifications and ASTM standards. Following testing and evaluation, the Plant Metallurgist will prepare a written report for all failure analyses. Various instruments to determine hardness and evaluate process will be utilized.
Performs advanced metallographic examinations
Performs failure analyses on internal and external failures
Facilitates material/process related (external) claims
Facilitates Corrective Actions for (external) claims
Creates and administers Skill Base Pay level classes to Webco employees on Non Destructive Testing which includes Eddie Current and Ultra-Sonic testing.
Supervises special projects
Provides support to Tech. Services and OEM development departments
Provides technical support for Weld Mills, Cold Draw, and Finishing
Determines lab equipment needs
Maintains metallographic and imaging equipment
Performs mechanical, chemistry, and heat treatment testing
Education, training, experience:
1) Knowledge, skills and abilities: Ability to deal with stress and get along with co-workers and supervisors. Ability to read and speak English is preferred. Mathematical skills equivalent to high school level required. Math skills must include the ability to do decimals, fractions, and averages. Must be able to communicate effectively with supervisors and co-workers. Proficient in the use of a variety of measuring instruments, including micrometers, bore gauges, calipers, and tape measures. Regular attendance at work, required training and meeting(s) is an essential job function. Must have leadership skills, high level of personal integrity and willingness to indicate when policies and procedures are not followed or not followed properly.
Must have excellent organization and planning skills and the ability to think ahead and plan.
Working knowledge of TS 16949.
Skillful troubleshooter with analytical mind and strong technical and mechanical aptitude.
2) Education: Bachelor of Science in Engineering with a focus on Metallurgy or Materials required. Masters Preferred.
3) Ability to become level 3 ASNT with Eddy Current and Ultra-Sonic Testing.
4) Experience: Previous manufacturing experience in inspection, production, and trouble shooting techniques. Experience with NDT equipment and measuring instruments is a plus. Experience in chemical testing, chemical requirements and grades of steel would be beneficial.
5) Equipment: After training, must be able to operate and read measuring instruments (micrometers, bore gauges, calipers, and tape measures); setup and operate NDT equipment, including Eddy Current and Ultra Sonic equipment; operate tensile and hardness testing equipment.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Requires full range of body motion to include: constant lifting, kneeling, pushing, climbing, stooping, squatting, reaching out, around & overhead.
When the Plant Metallurgist is assigned to assist a work center, they may, during the majority of the 8-hour work shift, be required to bend and twist slightly forward at the waist to manually roll, push, and pull approximately 50-100 tubes weighing 25 250 lbs. each onto a processing table. Plant Metallurgist will use a manual micrometer (measuring instrument) to verify Outside Diameter (OD), Inside Diameter (ID) of tubing, and wall thickness dimensions to customer requirements. When using a micrometer, the Plant Metallurgist wil
State or Province