* Technically manages distinct area(s) in the development of tests for Companion Diagnostics with or without subordinates. Responsible for establishing plans for area(s) of responsibility with input from senior management. Focused on deliverables of own distinct area(s) ensuring that its objectives are aligned with broader area's objectives.
* Be a leader in the laboratory and a subject matter expert in technical aspects of a project in Genomics and Oncology, Personalized Health Care.
* Conceives, plans and conducts advanced independent Research/Development experiments from project inception through product launch and field support, defining project milestones and applying advanced scientific knowledge to complete projects. Designs experiments to test hypothesis related to project outcomes, and analyzes and interprets data/results. Recommends new or creative approaches, and/or expansion or curtailment of investigations based on experimental data or new scientific information arising from area of responsibility.
* Participates in project planning and process updates. Assumes responsibility for timely completion of projects, ensuring activities are consistent with project critical path and responding appropriately to changing priorities.
* Ensures technical activities under delegated supervision are conducted within internal and external guidelines and regulations. Interacts with other departments to further project goals.
* Accurately and consistently records experimental methods, materials and results in electronic laboratory notebooks. Analyzes data, evaluates results, forms conclusions, and determines future experiments.
* Presents findings or comprehensive project status reviews at internal seminars/meetings. Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce reports and documents. Prepares summaries, internal reports, presentations, manuscripts, etc.
* Has expertise in own discipline which is recognized outside of RMD (but within Roche). Applies expertise to set direction and resolve problems for own team and/or supervisors.
* Positions with people management responsibility have full HR responsibility for direct and indirect reports which includes hiring/termination recommendations, interviewing, selection, performance feedback, discipline, pay decisions and handling employee grievances/complaints.
* Works on complex problems requiring significant analysis and evaluation of intangible variables; may refer to established precedents and policies.
* Frequent contact with external resources and contacts at various management levels concerning operations or scheduling of specific phases of projects.
* Provides input to budget and helps to allocate expenditures efficiently for activities individual manages. Forecasts resource needs. Identifies opportunities to reduce costs.
* Sets goals that have short-term, 0-3 years, positive impact on team members and the organization.
* Bachelor's in Biological/Life Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry or related field, required.
* Ph.D., preferred.
* 7 years relevant industry experience, required.
* 8-10 years relevant industry experience, preferred.
* Experience in assay optimization, experimental design, versatile laboratory practice, data analysis, and data and concept presentation.
* FDA product regulatory experience is desired.
State or Province