The Production Underwriter will play a key role in generating new commercial lines business opportunities within a specific geographic territory across all lines of business.
The incumbent will utilize and comply with the company’s Underwriting, Actuarial, Reinsurance, Systems, Claims and Legal functions. The individual will manage the underwriting aspects focused on the agency/broker relationship including visitation to present our products and underwriting appetite, develop relationships, production and profitability.
Position & Responsibilities:
· Develop strong business relationships with key agents or brokers and provide underwriting guidance to the agents/brokers.
· Review new business applications (primarily Submit classification) to evaluate degree of risk involved and accept or decline based on Company policies. Perform same function on key renewals as required
· Select, price and develop coverage terms for commercial lines accounts to achieve profitable underwriting results
· Assist with new product presentation as well as support and coaching for the underwriting function
· Provide timely and professional customer service to facilitate the processing of business
· Contribute to effective marketing of the Company’s products by participating in new product presentations, and explaining new or revised products and processes
· Maintain a profitable book of business within assigned levels of authority by using sound underwriting judgment and technical skills
· Assist in developing and growing new agency partnerships of all lines within territory
· Interpret insurance coverages for agents/ brokers and insureds
· Establish, maintain and strengthen working relationship with agents/ brokers and communicate underwriting decisions to agents and insureds
· Train agents/brokers on new products and automated systems, as well as communicate Company’s pricing and documentation expectations
· Assist other functions or departments with enhancing and developing existing products in order to enhance the underwriting process
· Work closely with Referral Underwriters to provide a high level of expertise in order to contribute to the success of the company
· Meet or exceed service standards
Requirements & Qualifications:
· 8-10 years of underwriting and marketing experience at a company or agency level with a minimum of 5 years of underwriting experience within the commercial lines sector of insurance
· Demonstration of self-development through attainment of professional insurance designations, CPCU, ARM, etc.
· Bachelors’ degree preferred
Ability to travel 40-80% of the time
Computer skills – well versed in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook and working knowledge of various automated computer systems
|United National Group|
State or Province