The Hanover Insurance Group is seeking Small Commercial Field Underwriter for the Long Island, NY office.
Field Underwriters are responsible for driving the growth of Small CL business by underwriting new business across all lines and sizes of POS and Non-POS accounts, within Small CL definition, and building and maintaining strong agency relationships, partnering with Agency staff and SCSMs. The Field UW should work closely with and direct the activities of their UT partner(s), following established workflows, to ensure all policies are underwritten in the most efficient and effective manner while meeting service standards and performance goals, up through first renewal.
- Lead the daily triage of new business with UT, including POS business. -
Assess submissions, categorize, and direct UT on next steps to be taken
based on assessment and categorization.
- Provide direction and guidance to UT to properly prepare a new business
- Quick Declines and how to communicate with Agent (ex. Declination
letter or phone call)
- Additional information needed for underwriting analysis Interaction
with agency necessary to gather needed information in an organized
- Reports necessary to perform underwriting analysis
- Providing accurate instructions to rating
- Preparing and delivering quote proposal to agent
- Following up on open quotes
- Documenting underwriting decisions within standards and
expectations in Underwriting systems, including ARF and CAAMS.
- Ensure all submissions are effectively managed to reach decline or quoting
status.- Determine the pricing, coverages, including coverage advantages to
highlight in the quoting process, account rounding opportunity, and identify
- Sell opportunity for Specialty businesses on accounts being quoted- Refer
accounts as appropriate if additional authority is required.
- Own all aspects of the New Business underwriting process including
acceptability and documentation at inception as well as subsequent
validation through other sources including Loss Control. Responsible for
reviewing and responding to back end underwriting reviews and new
business audits. After these steps, the account responsibility falls to the
Portfolio underwriter, although consultation between Field and Portfolio
Underwriter is expected as required.
- Clearly communicate appetite, declination reasons and coverage
advantages to Agents to improve hit ratio
- Leverage relationships with Agents and SCSMS to identify opportunities to
help write business
- Communicate proactively with Agents to convey a sense of ownership and
service during all interactions; instill confidence with agents in their decision
to place new business with The Hanover Group
- Agency travel as needed to build and maintain strong relationships- Partner
with internal colleagues, mainly SCSMs, UTs and Renewal UW colleagues,
to most effectively communicate difficult messages with Agent partners and
on overall agency management
Key Measures of Success
- New Business production (approx. $2 Million annually)
- UW profitability based on quality of referrals, quality of audits/ file reviews, and achievement of mix goals- Service metrics, aligned with workflows
- Agency relationships as measured by agency feedback
- Hit and Yield ratios
- LOB and class mix targets
Required Skills, Key Competencies and Experience:
- Strong underwriting skill and coverage knowledge; ability to make
underwriting decisions on POS and CPP accounts up to $50,000 premium
- Underwriting systems knowledge to document and underwrite accounts
Benefits To Joining The Hanover Team
- Competitive Pay and Benefits
- Retirement/401(k) Program
- Beneficiary and Ability Assist Programs
- Travel Assistance Program
- Adoption Benefit
- Wellness Programs
- Matching Education Gifts Plan
- Employee Development/Education Assistance and Professional/Industry Designation Programs
- Generous ""Time Off With Pay""
The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. (NYSE: THG), based in Worcester, Mass., is the holding company for a group of insurers. The Hanover offers a wide range of property and casualty products and services to individuals, families and businesses through an extensive network of independent agents, and has been meeting its obligations to its agent partners and their customers for more than 150 years. Taken as a group, The Hanover ranks among the top 25 property and casualty insurers in the United States.
The Hanover Insurance Group provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants. No person shall be discriminated against in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal or state statutes. The Company is committed to maintaining an environment in which all employees are treated equitably and given the opportunity to achieve their full potential in the workplace.
The Hanover Insurance Group does not accept unsolicited Agency resumes. The Hanover Insurance Group will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm that does not have a signed ""Employment Agency Agreement"" already on file with Human Resources - The Office of Talent Management>
Nearest Major Market: Long Island
Nearest Secondary Market: New York CIty
Job Segments: Insurance, Loss Prevention, Retail, Underwriter
|Hanover Insurance Co|
State or Province