|Division: R&D (Crops)
State/Province: Iowa [IA]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Statistician
Job ID: 3332
To provide high quality, high level and business-relevant statistical service and consultation to individuals, workgroups and projects within the global seeds field research area. This role will be part a Statistical Support Team which will support North and South American based seeds (and related) R&D projects and programs in the design and analysis of experiments, statistics consulting, and education. The expected outcomes include improved project quality/outcomes and increased insights into project/function that enables continuous improvement.
- Provide routine and non-routine statistical analyses using standard statistical software
(SAS, JMP, R) in coordination with the Senior Statistician and Statistical Support team.
- Provide specialist advice on the design and conduct of experiments such that company resources are used optimally, ensuring that experiments stand a good chance of meeting their objectives using the minimum of resource.
- Provide statistical analysis and/or guidance in the interpretation of results for individuals and projects, where such work is likely to add significant value to the business.
- Support data reviews that enable the development of data and program design quality metrics to achieve continuous improvement in our R&D projects, functions and programs.
- Encourage and enable field R&D staff within seeds (and related) to satisfy their own routine statistical analysis requirements by assisting in implementing suitable software, and providing training and support for statistical software and general statistics knowledge.
- Work with crop data managers and others in the Statistical Support team to advise/assist in database construction to allow scientists, researchers, and statisticians to utilize data for statistical analyses.
- Provide statistical computing expertise for RDIS projects needing Statistical Support team input.
- Serve as a fully engaged and contributing member of the Syngenta R&D Statistical Network Invest in personal and professional development.
- Invest in personal and professional development.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- Strong communication, engagement and stakeholder management capabilities.
- Project management experience preferred.
- Ph.D. in Statistics or equivalent training and experience base (5-6 years experience in statistical consulting or PhD in Plant Breeding or Genetics with 2 years).
- Knowledge of applied research methods, designs and statistical tools used in plant genetics, traits, and plant breeding across crops, including background in use of molecular markers and genetic information. Requires ability to work with sophisticated software and information management tools and large datasets.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English and a proven ability to work well in a team environment are required.
- Requires an interest, ability, and desire to familiarize and understand field activity in breeding nurseries and field plot evaluation in global breeding programs and winter off-season fields. Some local overnight travel and international travel is required.
- Problem Solving Skills: Ability to collaborate with researchers and research teams in the identification and solving of experimental design, analysis and optimization challenges. Requires knowledge of both theoretical and practical components of genetics, statistics, and plant breeding.
- Decision Making Skills: Ability to apply new technologies to understand and evaluate advantages to incorporating into research projects and breeding programs
- Minimum of 5 years of research experience or equivalent amounts of relevant education and experience.
- Experience with quantitative/population genetics and use of conventional and marker assist strategies in crop improvement breeding programs.
- Strong self-motivation with capabilities to initiate projects, make decisions and solve problems.
- Excellent personal interaction skills required for effectively developing strong internal and external working relationships with a diverse group of people
Critical technical, professional & personal capabilities:
- Excellent mathematical/statistical problem solving skills.
- Computer programming expertise.
- Teaching and coaching skills.
- Building strategic relationships.
- Ability to work in teams
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Develops people, organization and self.
- Communicates with impact.
- Builds a culture of innovation.
- Collaborates across boundaries.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Be part of the Statistical Support function as a valued collaborator and key resource for our R&D functions and projects.
- Promote statistical measures that underpin and feed into the germplasm program metrics.
- Help develop statistical competency across the R&D community and assist in building resources and tools that optimize outcome and efficiency of our efforts in this area.
- Become a go-to person for statistical analyses for Seeds field R&D staff, germplasm excellence special requests, and general R&D scientists' statistics questions.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Requires significant travel
- Requires extensive use of teleconferencing and working across diverse cultures, competency groups and organizational structures
State or Province