Leads and directs a Technology underwriting group and is accountable for business results through overall management, profitability, and business development of a book of business. In conjunction with senior management, works within the highest limits of authority. Has regional, industry segment or company-wide scope of responsibility.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Directs the work activities and has full management responsibility for the performance and
development of subordinate staff in accordance with corporate strategic direction.
2. Coaches, leads and develops underwriters and directs the development of underwriting training.
3. Participates with senior management in the development and implementation of underwriting policy, marketing and business strategy.
4. Develops and implements operating plans for enhancing the business and meeting strategic
5. Reviews and directs the application of underwriting policy and pricing for all risks within an assigned book of business.
6. Market products and services through agencies or through the brokerage community.
7. Develops and maintains agency and/or broker relationships to ensure positive and profitable
8. Reports business progress to senior management.
9. Keeps current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends. May represent the company in industry trade groups.
10. Manages and leads cross sell initiatives with other segments to leverage enterprise business opportunities with customers.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Job Description Confidential & Proprietary
AVP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Ability to effectively lead, coach and develop an underwriting group.
2. Excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
3. Senior level technical and business management acumen, underwriting skill and knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles, practices and procedures.
4. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects and teams.
5. Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
6. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
7. Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
8. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
1. MBA or its equivalent in experience. Professional designations preferred.
2. Minimum of ten years of underwriting experience with a proven track record of results.
Primary LocationUnited States-California-San Francisco
Organization Field Ops West Zone
State or Province