Novelis is the world leader in aluminum rolling, producing an estimated 19 percent of the world's flat-rolled aluminum products. We are the No. 1 rolled products producer in Europe and South America, and the No. 2 producer in both North America and Asia.
Novelis is also the world leader in the recycling of used aluminum beverage cans. Annually, we recycle around 40 billion used beverage cans -- enough to circle the earth more than 100 times.
Novelis is globally positioned, operating in 11 countries with approximately 11,600 employees. The company reported revenue of $10.6 billion in its 2011 fiscal year.
The Supply Chain team for Novelis North America is currently looking for a Regional Logistics Leader. This position is accountable for maintaining, developing, and administering divisional transportation and physical distribution policies in order to ensure a high level of customer service at the most economical costs thereby enhancing sales volume and profitability throughout the business planning horizon.
Key responsibilities include managing plant logistical support, interpretation and analysis of data, freight payment/claims activities, carrier compliance, and reporting functions related to the physical receipts and distribution of our products on a global basis. This position is a vital link between sales, customers, warehouses, plants, and suppliers ensuring the economical movement of all finished goods and raw materials within NA.
The main areas of responsibility for the role include the following:
- Implementation of logistics policy for the division while ensuring business unit objectives and customer requirements are met or exceeded. Ultimate accountability for all freight movement within the assigned territory.
- Rates/Contracts Negotiations involving applying knowledge of different modes of transportation and their rate structures. Must be able to negotiate the best possible rates for the different modes of TL (van & flats), LTL (short & long haul), rail and intermodal. The BU shipping locations have very specific needs for shipments and must be addressed in order to meet customer requirements and applicable US and Canada transportation regulations.
- Carrier Selection utilizing procedures to evaluate carriers for service, equipment availability, equipment suitability, rates, financial stability, operating authority, safety and insurance coverage for all carriers. Must ensure carriers meet all legal requirements per Corporate and BU policies in order to protect Novelis from unnecessary litigation and risk exposure.
- Physical Distribution Strategies/Tactics: Provides transportation perspective, and assists in the development of, BU plant loading strategy and distribution tactics.
- Logistics analysis: The role will be accountable for the ongoing review of transportation costs and delivery requirements and the reporting of such data to management, customers, and sales/marketing. Analyzes freight costs for the BU shipping locations (including CN) in order to achieve optimum costs with best possible service, making necessary adjustments when conditions warrant. Compiles freight costs for special projects.
- Transportation of finished goods, raw materials, exception shipments, product returns and scrap recycling: The role oversees the return of damaged, defective or returned products. Ensures the effective movement of all BU finished goods for both domestic and foreign delivery; coordinates movement of returnable cores and racks; provides logistical support to for all scrap purchase/sell programs; provides routing assistance to the BU plants.
- Strong negotiation skills: This position requires the ability to negotiate contracts and tariffs with rail, truck (truckload and less than truckload Ė LTL), intermodal, container and freight brokerage companies. It also requires constant monitoring of the performance of current carrier partnerships and a continuous search for potential partners. He/she must possess negotiation skills for each of the above modes of transportation, as well as import and export.
- Current knowledge of all regulatory compliance and transportation issues in order to protect the departmentís interests. The incumbent must ensure that the requirements of our shippers are met.
- Excellent computer skills, MS Office, database query experience for generating ad-hoc reports
- Continuous Improvement greenbelt and/or Blackbelt certification a plus
- Ability to work closely with Plant Supply Chain and Operations Managers to reduce detention and loading times and improve load and weight optimization.
- The incumbent must possess strong interpersonal skills in terms of interfacing effectively and positively with carriers, customers and all Novelis contacts.
- Bachelorís Degree and a strong knowledge of general business skills.
- Experience in the field of logistics and computer programming is required.
State or Province