Tesla's goal is to produce a full range of electric cars, from sports cars to mass-market vehicles – relentlessly driving down the cost of electric vehicles. It is currently the only U.S. automaker that builds and sells highway-capable EVs in serial production. Palo Alto, California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs and EV powertrain components. Tesla has delivered more than 1,600 Roadsters to customers in North America, Europe and the Asia Pacific Region. Model S, the first premium sedan to be built from the ground up as an electric vehicle, goes on the market in mid-2012.
Tesla Motors is looking for an experienced, Compliance Specialist to sustain an efficient and well-organized flow of export and import controls related to international shipments.
• Oversee export documentation processes and procedures.
• Ability to work with all levels within the corporation which includes planning, organizing and coordination of diverse activities in a fast paced environment.
• Responsible for all activities related to maintaining compliance with requirements of Royalties and any other applicable regulatory agencies on exporting and importing.
• Experience in duty drawback
• Experience managing an import and export compliance program
• Experience with filing export (ITAR and EAR) licenses required
• Experience with PC based systems and software related to document preparation, (Microsoft Office, SAP, SharePoint etc.).
• Comprehensive knowledge of the U.S. Export Administration Regulations and U.S. Customs Regulations, import/export documentation and recordkeeping.
• Work with the Department of Commerce, U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol and other applicable government agencies such as EPA, NHSTA, FAA and TSA .
• Responsible for the maintenance and process improvements of the Import and Export Compliance Manuals, policies and procedures, databases, Intranet, and learning to ensure compliance.
• Act as go-to person on import compliance including classification, valuation, trade agreements, country of origin, marking, CFR 49, etc.
• Advise management on impact of existing and changing export compliance regulations regarding new and existing products
• Communicate export compliance licensing requirements to all business unit employees
• Subject matter expert on export licensing including ITAR and EAR licenses.
• Work hand-in-hand with Logistics Coordinator to prepare and manage import and export documentation for brokers, forwarders and customers
• Develop and update company trade compliance manual as required
• String knowledge and awareness of U.S. Export / Import Regulations with respect to determination of product classifications and Harmonized Tariff Schedules and Export Control Classification Numbers.
• Assists on forecasting of the freight budget with regards to any fees applicable with Trade Compliance.
• Work in conjunction with other departments as needed to define regulatory practices and provide guidance and assist in addressing compliance issues. Provide related training as needed
Education and Experience
• Education: Bachelor's Degree in related field with plus 3-5 experience, MBA plus 2-3 years
• Customs Brokers License a plus
• Experience: Minimum of 3-5 years work experience in areas of Trade Compliance, International Transportation, or Logistics including strong emphasis on import and export compliance.
State or Province